Skip to main content
The Dangers of Mold Exposure
September 15, 2021 at 12:30 PM
41602146_m.jpg

Mold, a natural part of the environment, can cause allergens, irritants, and mycotoxins. Breathing in mold exposes people to high risk of respiratory complications, and this is why it is essential to help minimize mold amounts in indoor environments through solutions like mold remediation.

Why is Mold Remediation Necessary?

Mold is a fungal organism that exists indoors and outdoors to help decompose organic material. Mold reproduces by releasing spores that are usually floating through the air. Mold spores depend on:

  • Organic material for food
  • Moisture: Mold remediation helps reduce mold levels in an indoor environment.

Why is Mold Exposure Dangerous?

Inhalation exposure to fungi and toxic indoor environments can cause serious health effects. Allergens or irritants are examples of potentially harmful microscopic substances in many homes.

Symptoms of Mold Exposure

Allergic reactions are common and may be immediate or delayed, including fever-like symptoms such as:

  • Migraines
  • Itchy and red eyes
  • Runny nose or sneezing
  • Skin rash.

Risks of Leaving Mold Growth Unattended

Repeated exposure to mold has the potential to increase sensitivity. Mold exposure may also cause asthma attacks. In addition, this toxic substance can irritate the eyes, nose, skin and lungs regardless of whether you are allergic to mold. Breathing mold may also cause hypersensitivity pneumonitis. Persons with suppressed immune systems can develop opportunistic diseases such as lung-fungal infections upon mold exposure.

What is a Mold Remediation?

This process involves the use of a contractor to manage the area affected by mold. A great way to contain the mold is by using plastic to seal the affected areas. The next step in mold remediation involves setting up negative air HEPA filtration to clean the air by capturing the mold into the filter and discharging clean air into an area. The filtration setup comprises a negative pressure to suck air from the surrounding environment. Any mold that goes into the device is not allowed to return to the atmosphere. Sanitizing the area with biocide ensures that no more mold will grow in the area after cleaning. A third party then conducts a clearance test to analyze the mold levels of the treated building.

Indoor mold growth can cause occupants to report various symptoms that do not necessarily point to mold in a building. It is therefore essential to conduct environmental testing to identify alleviated levels of mold. To learn more about identifying and preventing mold in your building, contact Disinfect-It to have us treat the fungi in your home or office.