Black mold is an fungi known scientifically as Stachybotrys Chartarum. Black mold is also referred to as toxic black mold because it produces harmful spores called mycotoxins. The toxic spores can spread and enter a property through windows, open doorways, or air conditioning ducts. Once the spores are in the building, they can cause a variety of health ailments to the residents and significantly reduce the property's indoor air quality, hence the importance of black mold removal.
How To Identify Black Mold
Black mold tends to be black, as its name suggests, but it can be grayish-black or greenish-black. It can also be identified by its musty stench. Black mold feeds on dead, organic material and moisture. Therefore, it thrives well in warm and damp environments.
Homes, offices, and commercial buildings that are less spacious and poorly ventilated can trap moisture, enabling black mold growth. Therefore, it is common to find black mold in bathrooms, the basement, kitchen, HVAC units, attics, and any areas with water leakage. It can also grow on materials with a high cellulose content and low in nitrogen, like wood, paper, cardboard, gypsum board, and dust.
How Dangerous is Black Mold?
As soon as you become aware of black mold growth in your property, take steps to eliminate it as quickly as possible. Repeated exposure to black mold can lead to frequent coughing, difficulty breathing, itchy eyes, and nose bleeds. Prolonged exposure can cause a host of health problems including, fatigue, anxiety, migraine, and sinusitis. On top of that, it can also worsen existing medical conditions such as asthma or result in permanent lung damage.
As tempting as it might be, you should not try to scrape off the black mold on your own as it may end up releasing toxic spores into the air.
Contact Disinfect-It for Effective Black Mold Removal
Removing black mold is a detailed process. If not done correctly, you may suffer from the harmful effects of black mold exposure. Let experienced black mold removal companies handle the process.
At Disinfect-It, our staff has the knowledge and specialized equipment to remove the mold while ensuring it doesn't release large amounts of toxic spores throughout your property. Contact us today; we will remove the molds in every space in your property, including the hard-to-reach areas.